Chapter 29: 289-295
Walls of the Shambles... the Market
New Market, as it was originally known, later also known as Headhouse (or Head House) Square, is an historic street market in the Society Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Established in 1745 and named "New Market" to distinguish it from the established market on High (now Market) St., it was used well into the 19th century. Two rows of brick pillars support a gable roof and arched ceiling over an open market area. The area features cobblestone streets and a park. The square includes a stone building, the Headhouse, a former firehouse built in 1804, the oldest in the United States. It also features one of the oldest continually run farmer's markets in the nation. The market structure, known as the Shambles, was demolished in 1950 but rebuilt in the early 1960s. From WIKI
The Veery Brothers
"He's a rare Wax Artist, our Cosmo is..."
Another fabulous scene containing (at least) two jokes: First, the ancient cult of Priapus, whose practice of votive offerings of wax phalluses was co-opted by Christianity to become part of the feast day celebration of Cosmas and Damian. Second, Damian's fascination with the realism of the 'Publick Beheading Model' of effigy, considering that Saints Cosmas and Damian were martyred by being beheaded. An extensive description of both references can be read here
November 30, 1763
Some info on Philadelphia's Taverns and Coffee-Houses.
'As it will prove...' December 1, 1763
Mr. Arne's Love in a Cottage
Love in a Village is a ballad opera in three acts that was composed and arranged by Thomas Arne. A pastiche, the work contains 42 musical numbers of which only five were newly composed works by Arne. The other music is made up of 13 pieces borrowed from Arne's earlier stage works, a new overture was by C. F. Abel, and 23 songs by other composers, including Geminiani and Galuppi, albeit with new texts. The English libretto, by Isaac Bickerstaff, is based on Charles Johnson’s 1729 play The Village Opera. The opera premiered at the Royal Opera, Covent Garden in London on 8 December 1762. From WIKI - Thomas Arne link here
The Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, or Phil. Trans., is a scientific journal published by the Royal Society. Begun in 1665, it is the oldest scientific journal printed in the English-speaking world and the second oldest in the world, after the French Journal des sçavans. It has remained in continuous publication ever since 1665, making it the world's longest running scientific journal. The use of the word "philosophical" in the title derives from the phrase "natural philosophy", which was the equivalent of what we would now generically call "science". From WIKI
Italian, 'walking' - slowish musical tempo, faster than an adagio ('easy') but slower than an allegretto ('little active')
Orchid Tavern... Dock Creek
This was a marshland area with a creek that ran to Penn's landing. References to Dock Creek hereand here.The creek was filled in and became Dock Road. Located near the "Blue Anchor" cannot find references to the "Orchid Tavern" obvious connection to Franklin's sunglasses. It is this color.
Old and New Lights
The terms Old Lights and New Lights (among others) are used in Christian circles to distinguish between two groups who were initially the same, but have come to a disagreement. These terms have been applied in a wide variety of ways, and the meaning must be determined from context. Typically, if a denomination is changing, and some refuse to change, and the denomination splits, those who did not change are referred to as the "Old Lights", and the ones who changed are referred to as the "New Lights". From WIKI
William Shippen, Sr. (October 1, 1712 – November 4, 1801) was an American physician from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was a civic and educational leader who represented Pennsylvania in the Continental Congress... Shippen joined the vestrymen who founded the First Presbyterian Church of Philadelphia in 1742. He joined Benjamin Franklin and other civic leaders to found the Public Academy in 1749 and served as one of its trustees. When it merged with another school to become the College of Philadelphia he served as a trustee of the college from 1755 to 1779; the College is now the University of Pennsylvania. From WIKI
The Leyden jar is a device that "stores" static electricity between two electrodes on the inside and outside of a jar. It was invented independently by Ewald Georg von Kleist in 11 October 1744 and by Pieter van Musschenbroek in 1745—1746. The latter place of invention, Leiden, Netherlands gave the invention its name. It was the original form of the capacitor. The Leyden jar was used to conduct many early experiments in electricity, and its discovery was of fundamental importance in the study of electricity. Previously, researchers had to resort to insulated conductors of large dimensions to store charge. The Leyden jar provided a much more compact alternative. From WIKI
Euclid (Greek: Εὐκλείδης — Eukleídēs), fl. 300 BC, also known as Euclid of Alexandria, was a Greek mathematician and is often referred to as the "Father of Geometry." From WIKI
Latitudes and Departures
1: 5-11, 2: 12-13, 3: 14-29, 4: 30-41, 5: 42-46, 6: 47-57, 7: 58-76, 8: 77-86, 9: 87-93, 10: 94-104, 11: 105-115, 12: 116-124, 13: 125-145, 14: 146-157, 15: 158-166, 16: 167-174, 17: 175-182, 18: 183-189, 19: 190-198, 20: 199-206, 21: 207-214, 22: 215-227, 23: 228-237, 24: 238-245, 25: 245-253
26: 257-265, 27: 266-274, 28: 275-288, 29: 289-295, 30: 296-301, 31: 302-314, 32: 315-326, 33: 327-340, 34: 341-348, 35: 349-361, 36: 362-370, 37: 371-381, 38: 382-390, 39: 391-398, 40: 399-409, 41: 410-421, 42: 422-435, 43: 436-439, 44: 440-447, 45: 448-451, 46: 452-459, 47: 460-465, 48: 466-475, 49: 476-483, 50: 484-490, 51: 491-498, 52: 499-510, 53: 511-524, 54: 525-541, 55: 542-553, 56: 554-561, 57: 562-569, 58: 570-574, 59: 575-584, 60: 585-596, 61: 597-607, 62: 608-617, 63: 618-622, 64: 623-628, 65: 629-632, 66: 633-645, 67: 646-657, 68: 658-664, 69: 665-677, 70: 678-686, 71: 687-693, 72: 694-705, 73: 706-713